Parent mentors provide information and support to families of children with disabilities and their school districts. A parent mentor works to support the relationship between the school and the family of a child with a disability.
Parent Mentor guides families through the Special Education process by:
- Helping families understand their rights and responsibilities,
- Attending the Individualized Educational Program (IEP) Meetings and other meetings at the request of families or staff.
- Listening to and supporting both family and educators on an individual basis,
- Providing information and resources to families and schools,
- Hosting information sessions, support/networking groups or training programs for families and educators,
- Engaging community service agencies and other resources to support families and schools,
- Connecting families, schools and community partners to benefit students with special needs.
Below is the contact information for our region's parent mentors.